Nippers is run by parents. Many hands make light work so please contact your age manager or a member of the Junior Activities Committee to express your interest in assisting in one of the numerous roles essential for the on-going operation of the junior program.
We need volunteers for the following:
- BBQ Duty on Sunday mornings
- Setting up the beach each Sunday and putting equipment away
- Water Safety (must hold Bronze Medallion)
- Setting up and pulling down equipment at Carnivals
- Carnival Officials
- Age Managers
- Assistant Age Managers
- Committee Members
The popular BBQ is our primary source of community fund raising. Each Age group is required to complete their duties on the BBQ approximately twice per season. Please check the roster contained within the season calendar. The BBQ teams are always happy for extra hands so please check if help is needed particularly at busy times. Funds raised from the BBQ directly benefit your child.
- BBQ set up starts at 8am and finishes at approximately 12pm.
- Duties are divided into 2 shifts so if you are required on the beach during Nippers you can always help with the later shift.
- A roster will be published and distributed prior to the new season.
Water Safety is an essential volunteer role ensuring our Nipper’s safety. You can spot water safety by their orange shirts and caps. The Club must meet the water safety requirements listed by SLSA in order to conduct water activities beyond waist deep water. Many parents complete their Bronze and in doing so enjoy the learning experience and getting a greater understanding of surf lifesaving. It’s also a great way to spend time with your child in an activity you can both enjoy together. If we don’t have the required number of Water Safety officers then a water activity cannot be conducted.
- Current Bronze Medallion
- Training course which combines theory and practical, covering knowledge of basic patrolling and surf awareness.
- Generally held over a few weeks, including weeknights and weekends
- Courses are advertised throughout the year
- Enables you to patrol as a Volunteer Surf Lifesaver
For further information talk to your Age Manger.
At Carnivals each club is required to provide a minimum number of carnival officials who run the activities. You can specify the area you would like to officiate in so this is a chance to get a ringside seat to the action!
- Complete an online accreditation course through the SLSA Members Portal.
- Complete a practical assessment at a Carnival.
Age Managers and Assistants
Each Age Group needs a volunteer Age Manager and Assistants. This team of volunteers leads the age group each week by running activities, educating and coaching the Nippers. The Assistants help run Nippers if not involved at Carnivals.
Age Managers are appointed at the beginning of each season. No previous experience is required to be an Assistant so please talk to your Age Manager about getting involved.